Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Chi-chi-chi-chia!!!!

Hello "Free" readers,
In one of my prior posts I attached a link about how to use chia gel as a substitute for eggs in baked goods. I am not allergic to eggs, but very many people are; therefore, I decided to experiment and see how it worked out. I made Pumpkin Apple Muffins and a Pumpkin Apple loaf:) Now, I have never baked using any egg substitute so I was kind of worried at first. They both came out chewy and and moist! They weren't perfect but at least they tasted yummy! I will definitely be experimenting more with chia in the near future.

Here is some advice for baking using Chia Gel as a substitute for eggs:
1. When you make the gel you end up using everything after the seeds gel up, including the seeds. The seeds are apart of the gel, and there is no way around that. It gives your baked item a little toasted, nutty flavor though and goes well with flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple (it actually brings out these flavors). I used 1/4 of Chia Seeds with 1 cup of water to substitute around 2-3 eggs.
2. If you don't like a chewy consistency, I don't recommend this as your egg substitute. I believe it is great for brownies chewy cookies though!!
3. Your bake times might be a little longer. I haven't figured it out just yet, but I think that because of all the moisture the seeds hold, the chia gel takes a little bit of time to bake.

Chia seeds are a great way of getting your Omega 3's and Fiber! You can not only make the gel, but raw chia is a great addition to give your food a crunch with a mild, nutty flavor. You can put it in yogurt, on salads, and of course in baked goods! What a great thing for those with nut allergies!

Now, that I am working with egg substitutes I am going to research other alternatives! I am going to see which ones work best and in what way. I think the next egg substitute I will research and try is chickpeas.

There will definitely be
More to come,
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment