Monday, July 2, 2012

"What's in a name?"

I believe sharing how I discovered my allergies is a good way to start off with some advice. Since I was little I had environmental allergies, eczema, and asthma. Yet, I didn't start developing food allergies and sensitivities until I started getting older. My first sensitivity was to cantaloupe and honey dew melon which caused my tongue and lips to itch and swell.  I became lactose intolerant as a teenager, so I moderate my dairy intake. I always had tummy troubles as a child and as a young adult; bloating, gas, indigestion, and problems going to the bathroom regularly started plaguing my life. My eczema was so bad and so raw that I was embarrassed to wear shorts at all. I could never be a healthy weight because of all the medicine I had to take for eczema and asthma and I couldn't be active like other kids because of a poor immune system. Still, I feel that the worst of it started last year.

In February of 2011, after eating dinner with my husband (fiancé still then) My mouth started to itch. Then my tongue swelled....then my lips...then my cheeks...and my eyes. I never in my life had a reaction quite like this and I didn't know what was going on. Eight Emergency Room visits later we were well aware that I was experiencing anaphylaxis. My body was so sensitive though, that I couldn't even do food allergy testing. Instead, I had to pay close attention to what I ate and eliminate certain foods in order to discover which ones were truly causing me to react. It was one of the most difficult times in my life. I was terrified to eat anything, and I was so sick and weak. I lost 25 pounds in a little over a month and I wasn't looking very healthy. This was a time of utter frustration and stress. I felt like eating was a chore because I had to write everything down and read every ingredient. Then I became angry at all the doctors in the ER who couldn't help and were making me feel like I was the problem. I was cranky from all the steroids I had to take just to keep the swelling at bay. On top of it all I was just so afraid because food had become basically a death trap in my mind. My allergist was the only person who made me feel like I wasn't crazy. So, once we figured out how to manage all the swelling and anaphylactic episodes, I had some peace of mind.
Even so, I still have a hard time because accidents happen and sometimes there are sneaky little food bandits hiding in my food. So my number one advice to you all is this:


*LEARN THE ALTERNATE NAMES OF THE ITEM(S) YOU ARE ALLERGIC OR SENSITIVE TO*

I cannot stress this enough! With food allergies and sensitivities there is never such thing as "being too careful". The consequences are far to severe and debilitating to endure. There are different names for everything. Think of them as code names that help conceal the enemy so that they can make there way in your body and attack you from within. Corn-derived ingredients and gluten ingredients are the worst! They have so many derivatives that I can't even name them all. Here's an example of sneaky corn: I purchased vitafusion Fiber Well gummies once, and I didn't see corn in the ingredients. But after I had some I started to have the swelling I usually get with corn. Here's the list of ingredients: "Polydextrose, xylitol, gelatin, natural flavors, malic acid, colors (black carrot juice extract, carrot and blueberry juices, annatto extract), sucralose, fractionated coconut oil and beeswax." Did you see corn anywhere?? Yeah me either. Therefore, I emailed the company to ask if any of there ingredients were corn-derived. What I found out was that the very first ingredient "polydextrose" was indeed corn-derived. So, you see, being careful is very important. Double check the ingredients. Also, double read the label because it could be so tiny that you miss the actual word 'corn' on it. If I am shopping with another person, I let them read it to double check for me because a fresh pair of eyes can spot the culprits.

That leads me back to the other reason I decided to start this blog: There are so many additives in foods nowadays that my general rule is "The less ingredients the better and if you can't pronounce it double check it." Most of the foods we consume contain unnecessary additives such as high fructose corn syrup, monosodium glutamate, and the list can go on forever. Less is more. For example, chicken bought from the supermarket should not have any other ingredients but 'chicken', yet they pump chicken with salt/brine, water, and hormones. I say it again "The less ingredients the better and if you can't pronounce it double check it." This is not only good advice for people with allergies, but for people who want to feel better. Once you switch to eating less, you gain so much more for your health. Here's another story, My husband has ADHD, and he used to take medicine to help him focus. Now, he eats a lot less corn syrup, gluten, refined sugars, food additives, and artificial flavors because he eats the food I make which is "Free" of all the stuff I can't have. He no longer takes his medicine for ADHD because he hasn't had as many problems with focusing and keeping calm. I really recommend just trying to eliminate a few things from your diet that are just toxic. After a month, you will feel a difference. It's the Journey, and you might as well walk it "Free"ly.

Here are some websites that are helpful for those starting the Journey. I will post more links as we go along :)
http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gluten-free-Warrior/130059630382383
http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide/fibromyalgia-the-diet-connection
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=104485 (this lists some of the common foods that a lot of people experience pain from, but everyone is different so listen to your body)
There is a lot of great literature out there too, but be careful to not overload yourself or your body. Listen to what works for your body, by really being aware of how you feel and what changes you from good to bad. You know your body best!

More to come!
Mary :)

No comments:

Post a Comment