Sunday, July 22, 2012

When your first word is "itchy!"

Good Morning "Free" Eaters!
Since yesterday I have been developing hives and I thought how appropriate to give some information about hives and other allergy-related skin issues. So, let's start with hives or Urticaria. Hives, according to WebMD, "is an outbreak of swollen, pale red bumps or plaques (wheals) on the skin that appear suddenly -- either as a result of the body's adverse reaction to certain allergens, or for unknown reasons." Emotion stress, anxiety, and even embarrassment can cause what is sometimes referred to as "emotional" hives. Yet, there are times when people experience hives for unknown reasons, and that is referred to as "idiopathic" hives. It is very stressful dealing with hives because it can cause itching, stinging, even burning of the skin and not to mention the rash itself.  If you think you have hives, then it is best to see your doctor since hives often reoccur. Removing the trigger and use of prescribed antihistamines is usually the best treatment to prevent hives from reoccurring.
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/hives-urticaria-angioedema

Next, let's talk about eczema. I have eczema and it runs in my family. Doctors don't know what causes eczema but they do believe it is genetic and people with a family history of eczema, asthma, and seasonal allergies are more genetically predisposed to eczema. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, eczema (or atopic dermatitis) is,"...due to a hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) in the skin, which leads to long-term swelling and redness (inflammation) of the skin." It is not caused by allergies, but it can be triggered and made worse by certain things such as allergies to pollen, dust mites, mold, or animals. It also can be flared up by being exposed to: emotional stress, fragrances or dyes in soaps and lotions, temperature and seasonal changes, and contact with irritating substances like chemicals in house cleaners. Itching is the worst part to deal with because some people, like me, itch constantly and can't stop scratching at times. I swear my first word was "itchy" as a small child. It's never good to scratch because it just tears the skin open causing bleeding and this can lead to infection. Yet, the hardest part for me growing up with eczema was dealing with the rashes all over. People stared at them and asked if it was contagious or just made mean remarks that made me self conscience and emotionally distressed (which didn't help with my eczema at all). I felt like I was so different and a freak because no one else at school had nasty patches of red, even scabbed, skin all over their legs and arms. It's hard being a little kid having to deal with all that. My best advice is to make sure your child understands that they can't help having eczema, that it is NOT contagious, and that real friends will not make fun of someone with a health problem.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001856/

Lastly, I'm gonna talk about allergic contact dermatitis. This is an allergic reaction that occurs when your skin comes into contact with the allergen. Some allergens include: Poison Ivy/Oak, Latex/rubber, metals such as nickel, adhesives, fragrances, topical antibiotics, and fabrics. Reactions can be immediate or delayed occurring 24 hours after exposure. The rash that often occurs is red, streaky or patchy and occurs where the allergen came into contact with the skin. It's important to keep your exposure to the allergen limited to none. Also, if you have a allergy to latex, rubber, or adhesives make sure you make that known whenever getting examined by a physician, hospitalized, or getting lab work performed. There are alternatives to latex gloves and plastic tapes and they can be used so that you don't react. I can't have plastic tape when getting my blood drawn or having an IV put in and I also react to latex gloves and bandages; therefore, I have a medical history sheet in my wallet stating medication allergies, food allergies, and contact allergies. My advice is for everyone to carry a medical history paper or card in their wallet so if you are unable to inform the doctor or EMT of your history, they have a resource. Everyone always jokes that mine is a page long, but whenever I go to a new doctor or the ER, I am prepared and the nurses and doctors always appreciate it ;)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001872/

A lot of people are embarrassed by skin problems. Even, being older now I still feel self conscience. Just know that you are not the only one out there dealing with it and that your body can't help it. What comforts me the most is when I can correct someone who thinks they know what my eczema is and tell them that I can't help it. People are insensitive and uniformed and sometimes we just have to remember that if we inform someone and they still remain insensitive, then obviously their opinion doesn't matter. I pray that not every little kid has to come home crying because of being made fun of for health  problems but I'm afraid that still happens. Just let your little one know that just because they are different doesn't make them any less special and teach them about their condition. Knowledge is the best way to overcome it. Keeping ourselves, our children, and everyone around us informed helps keep a lot of misunderstanding from occurring.

Stay informed, teach others, and walk "free".
More to come,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment